Homebuyers in Indian River & St. Lucie County may want to consider getting an Federal Housing Authority (FHA) backed loan to finance your home. FHA loans are also backed by the government, which makes them attractive to lenders who handle them. Consider this loan source if one or more of the following apply to you:
- You are a first time buyer in Indian River or St. Lucie County have a limited amount for a down payment (currently you can put as little as 3.5% down)
- You want to keep your monthly payments low and have a secure fixed interest rate.
- You don’t want any early pay off penalty.
St. Lucie County FHA Loan Benefits:
An FHA loan offers the following five benefits to borrowers:
- Easier Pre Approval Requirements – Because these loans are insured by the government, the lender may be more willing to work with you on finding the loan type that works best for you
- Lower Rates – Again, rates may be more advantageous than other loans because the government insures the funds
- Stability – The FHA has been in existence for over 80 years, it will continue to be here to protect you.
- Protection- If you encounter tough financial times after buying your home, the FHA can provide a host of options to help keep you in your home.
- Refinance – Easy refinance options should interest rates ever go lower.
They are some requirement both on you and the property you’re considering that you’ll want to be aware of.
FHA Borrower Requirements:
To see if you qualify for an FHA loan, the following guidelines apply:
- Any bankruptcy must be 3 years old, and the applicant must have demonstrated good credit for 2 consecutive years after the bankruptcy was filed
- A foreclosure has to be at least 4 years old
- 4 consecutive years of good credit must follow. Min 600 credit score.
- You need 2 years of stable income and
- You must be able to put down 3.5% toward the purchase price of the home
- Your monthly payments must be in the neighborhood of 30% of your income
FHA Home Requirements:
In addition to borrower requirements, requirements exist for the home you’re considering buying. These include:
- Single family home
- 2 to 4 unit properties
- The property must be used as a primary place of residence – no vacation homes or investment homes. Ineligible structures include co-ops, boarding houses, commercial properties, mobile home, hotels and private clubs.
- If the home seller has acquired the home within the last 90 days, it’s ineligible for an FHA loan.
FHA offers the following three loans. But check with your lender or at the FHA site below to see which loans are available in your area.
Fixed-Rate Loans – Most FHA loans are fixed rate mortgages. With a fixed rate loan, your interest rate stays the same for the life of the loan. This means you know how much your monthly payment will be and can budget for it.
Adjustable Rate Loans – With an FHA adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM), the initial rate and resulting payments are low. However, the rate may change over the life of the loan. The changes are capped at 1 to 2 percentage points per year and usually 5 or 6 percentage points from the beginning rate over the life of the loan. Because the initial rate and payments are low, you may be able to afford more house.
Purchase-Rehabilitation Loans – When you found a home you like that needs a lot of work you may want to consider an FHA purchase-203K rehab. This loan uses the projected amount (subject to limits) of the property after the work is completed. It includes the mortgage and the price of repairs. The advantage of this loan is that you have one mortgage but can complete the home repairs after you’ve bought the home.
FHA Mortgage Source is Florida’s leading FHA mortgage resource, serving you 7 days a week. Please call us at Ph: 800-743-7556 or submit the quick Info Request Form on this page.
Proudly serving Indian River & St. Lucie County including Fellsmere, Indian River Shores, Orchid, Roseland, Sebastian and Vero Beach, Fort Pierce, Hutchinson Island, Port St. Lucie.